This package integrates the Groovy Scripting Language with the R Project for Statistical Computing allowing users to mix Groovy script with R script. This can be particularly helpful when, for example, a Java framework needs to be augmented with only a few lines of code in order to complete the solution for a given problem — in this example the user can write some code in Groovy and not have to spend time with a Java compiler and shipping class files.
From groovy-lang: Groovy…
- is an agile and dynamic language for the Java Virtual Machine
- builds upon the strengths of Java but has additional power features inspired by languages like Python, Ruby and Smalltalk
- makes modern programming features available to Java developers with almost-zero learning curve
- provides the ability to statically type check and statically compile your code for robustness and performance
- supports Domain-Specific Languages and other compact syntax so your code becomes easy to read and maintain
- makes writing shell and build scripts easy with its powerful processing primitives, OO abilities and an Ant DSL
- increases developer productivity by reducing scaffolding code when developing web, GUI, database or console applications
- simplifies testing by supporting unit testing and mocking out-of-the-box
- seamlessly integrates with all existing Java classes and libraries
- compiles straight to Java bytecode so you can use it anywhere you can use Java
- Java 1.7+
- R version 3.0.3+
The R Package for the Groovy Scripting Language (rGroovy) is available under the open source LGPL license.